June 11, 2005

The Longest Day(s)

Who says there are only 24 hours in a day? For me, June 9 had 35 hours because I spent a lot of that time flying west, gaining 11 hours in total. I also spent much of June 10 traveling south to Lima, so no hours gained, but a lot of time in the air. Until I arrived at the hotel in Lima at midnight last night, I'd been awake for about 60 hours with a few naps on planes adding up to about 10 hours. Needless to say, I was a little loopy by that point. My friend Eli in New York had to bear the brunt of my tiredness. I spent the 13 hours of my layover in New York with him. We went to Coney Island to ride the wooden roller coaster, had dinner and went to a midnight movie. We were some of the first people in the country to see Mr. and Mrs. Smith. It was actually a decent movie, or what I remember of it was. I kept falling asleep, and Eli had to poke me awake. My mom and I arrived about the same time in Lima yesterday, even though I was supposed to arrive 2 hours earlier than her. Don't fly with Taca airlines if you can help it. If Emirates Air is the best airline in the world, Taca is the worst. although the delay this time was actually the fault of KLM. I was waiting for my connecting flight to Lima in Quito when a KLM flight had a difficult landing at the airport there. They closed the airport for almost 3 hours while they investigated the problem with the landing and moved the plane. Also, neither my luggage nor my mom's has yet arrived. Such is life in Latin America, and we are prepared to go with the flow in the land of maƱana. Life gets more interesting tomorrow as we're off to Cuzco and to Bolivia potentially with only the clothes on our backs.

No comments: